Medical and legal support can include, but is not limited to, systems liaisons with social services, mental health agencies, legal and law enforcement agencies, and hospitals.
Legal Support – can include:
- Assistance in applying for Victim’s Reparations. – The Minnesota Crime Victims Reparations Board helps victims of violent crime with certain expenses that result from the injuries from the crime.
- Assistance in applying for Orders for Protection. – An Order for Protection is issued by the District Court to protect a person from abuse by a family or household member.
- Assistance in applying for Harassment Claims.
- Providing legal options and referrals
It is extremely important to seek medical attention whether you decide to report a sexual assault to the police or not.
Medical treatment can:
- Determine if you have any injuries.
- Detect and treat sexually transmitted infections.
- Help in the prevention an unwanted pregnancy.
If you decide to report a crime, physical evidence can be collected for possible future prosecution.